On average, humans lose about 100 hairs a day. This can vary from person to person. The important fact is that when our hair starts to fall out faster or to look dull and lifeless, naturally it can affect us in a myriad of ways. It is inevitable that a certain percentage of people will suffer hair loss and thinning hair. And it will happen to men and women the world over of varying ages and races. There is no unique cure or prevention method. However, just like exercising our body, there are ways we can improve the health of our hair, such as through the use of a thickening hair mask. This, in turn, helps it to grow fuller and stronger.
What Causes Thinning Hair?
There are countless reasons that our hair can start to thin out, fall out, and generally appear less healthy. The main causes are listed below:
- Hereditary hair loss called male or female-pattern baldness
- Hormonal changes, especially during pregnancy
- Medical conditions and illnesses
- As a side effect of certain medications and treatments
- High levels of stress
- Specific hairstyles and hair treatments including wearing your hair too tight.
There are many chemical treatments available that have numerous studies proving efficiency. But these can be extremely expensive and often have unwanted side effects. Therefore, it is highly advisable to aim for natural remedies to help thicken hair, where possible.
Whether you are losing your hair or simply sick of flat, thin tresses, some homemade techniques can help you get a fuller head of hair.
Thickening masks can be made using natural products that you can find in your local store or already around the home. They are usually inexpensive and easy to get your hands on. They stimulate growth and prevent hair fallout. The following is a list of the main ingredients that can produce a desired thickening effect.
- Aloe Vera: This natural plant extract contains healing and nourishing properties. The aloe vera enzymes repair dead skin cells on the scalp to help prevent itching, remove dandruff and condition your hair.
- Eggs: There are various recipes online combining eggs with different protein-rich ingredients that can be found in your local supermarket to create a mask. Used weekly, this can help to stimulate hair growth and prevent further hair loss. Different parts of the egg can be used to condition your hair while moisturizing dry hair and treating oily scalps.
- Olive oil: Full of vitamins, this item adds body to hair while nourishing it. The oil preserves moisture within the strands of hair themselves. It also softens and strengthens it.
- Apple cider vinegar: Again, this product can be combined with different ingredients to make a mask that improves scalp health and enhances hair shine and strength. There are a variety of recipes online to benefit from the copious minerals contained within. It is recommendable to comb the mask through the hair to boost volume throughout.
- Coconut milk: This liquid contains essential fats and proteins that your hair needs to stay strong. It can penetrate into the roots and boost hair growth through the follicles.
- Orange: This everyday citrus fruit contains a whole host of nutrients for healthy hair. These include vitamin C and antioxidants which combat problems on the scalp. A puréed orange can be applied to the scalp and hair to thicken and add shine. It also helps relieve dandruff and control oils.
These should all be massaged into the scalp and along with the hair to the ends. You should let the mask act for around 15-30 minutes depending on the specific mask. Finally, the mask needs to be rinsed out with mild shampoo. This should be done on a weekly basis, and you will need to be patient. It can take time to see valid results. You need to allow your hair enough time to get rid of the dead cells and regrow the hair.
Tips to Get a Thicker Head of Hair
Other ways to improve your overall hair health include a balanced diet with plenty of protein, omega 3, and olive oil. These can be found in foods like nuts, avocados, leafy vegetables, salmon, and fruit. They include various types of nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants which promote stronger hair growth and avoid a myriad of problems.
Using the right products for your hair type is vital too. If you have particularly dry or oily hair, ask for advice from your hairstylist. They should be able to inform you about which cosmetic items could be specifically damaging or beneficial to help grow voluminous locks. Shampoos that do not contain sulfate is the first step as well as conditioning and cleansing hair on a regular basis with protein-rich formulas.
Many people also swear by supplements. Certain multivitamins can be beneficial to your body if it needs a hand in improving hair growth. Often, if our diets are deficient in one mineral or other, our body will use what there is in more important cell production. This means our hair can suffer. Those which contain biotin and vitamin B are most highly recommended.
It may seem obvious and maybe even idyllic, but try to avoid stress where possible. Stress is a major cause of hair loss and thinning hair. Take care of yourself and remember that your hair health is equally important.