Dandruff is a very common problem for all kinds of hair, in both men and women. Though it is not a serious ailment, people want to get rid of dandruff for several reasons. It is itchy and irritating, and can cause a lot of embarrassments when seen to spread all over the head. Moreover, they can also cause a lot of other problems like acne, skin problems and sometimes, irritations in the eyes, as well.
Reason for dandruff:
Normally, the scalp grows new skin, and the old skin is shed off, but too much of oil can cause the skin cells to clump up and cause dandruff. Dryness of the scalp can also lead to flaking off of the skin of the scalp. Dandruff can be caused by a fungus called Malassezia, which grows on the scalp, and hastens the process of shedding off the old skin. This fungus overgrows due to reasons like stress, hormones or some problem in the immunity system. Dandruff can be caused due to the sensitivity to certain hair products, or skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema etc. Hair products with chemicals, exposure to sunlight, or excessive heat due to styling tools can cause dryness of the scalp, causing dry dandruff, while unclean scalp or wet scalp can cause oily an sticky dandruff. Dandruff can start showing symptoms as early as at the age of 10 years. It is important to keep a check on the kind of dandruff that is appearing on the scalp. While there are some simple home-made hair care remedies to help get rid of dandruff, it is important to consult a dermatologist if the problem persists or increases.
Home remedies to get rid of dandruff naturally:
There are some natural beauty tips that can help to get rid of dandruff. Items like oil, lemon, vinegar, fenugreek, neem, henna, aloe vera, chickpea, curd, onion etc. are natural dandruff-removing agents. They can be used in pack,
- Yogurt can be a good base for different types of hair packs.
- A hair pack made of 2 tsp. of ground black pepper mixed with a cup of curd can be applied on the scalp and left for an hour to get rid of dandruff.
- Yogurt can be mixed with amla and basil to form an anti-dandruff hair pack.
- A paste made of green gram powder and yogurt can also be applied on the scalp.
- Hair pack made with henna, eggs, lemon and powdered fenugreek seeds not only helps get rid of dandruff but also serves as a natural conditioner.
- Mixing washing soda in a mild shampoo and using it to wash the hair property can help reduce dandruff potentially.
- Hot oil massage is a good treatment for dandruff. For more effective treatment, neem leaves, fenugreek seeds and basil leaves can be soaked in coconut/olive oil for some time. Then, this oil is to be heated and applied on the hair, to be covered with a towel or shower cap for about 30 minutes before washing.
- Coconut oil, lemon and camphor is one of the best concoctions to get rid of dandruff.
- Rubbing lime or lemon wedge on the scalp directly and leaving it there for some time before washing is also very helpful.
- Hibiscus flower and aloe vera gel are also good for the purpose.