Whitening your teeth – five natural ways to do it
If your teeth are off-white or yellow in color, you may feel self-conscious when you smile. This can have an adverse effect on your self-confidence. This means that whitening your teeth does not just improve the way you look, it can also make your feel better about yourself, and happier.
You have several when it comes to whitening your teeth. You can choose to visit a dentist in Pennant Hills and have your teeth whitened professionally. The process is safe as long as it’s carried out by a qualified professional. You may prefer to try using natural methods to whiten your teeth first.
A good dental care routine
Your teeth will naturally take on a slightly yellow appearance as you get older, but maintaining a good dental care routine can help you to reduce the amount of discoloration. Brushing helps to remove the day’s staining and flossing helps to get rid of harmful bacteria that can cause plaque to form. Regular dental checks are also important, so that your teeth can be thoroughly checked, and cleaned if necessary.
The practice of oil pulling
- Oil pulling is not a new technique, it’s been used since back in history in India to help with oral hygiene and keeping teeth clean. If you want to use this technique to try and whiten your teeth, you simply need to swish some oil around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes each day, and it gets rid of bacteria. If left untouched, these bacteria can lead to plaque forming and your teeth having a yellowish tint. Different oils can be used during oil pulling, including sunflower oil, sesame oil and coconut oil.
Brushing using baking soda
- Several brands of toothpaste on the market contain baking soda and research has suggested that they are better at whitening teeth than other toothpaste. Although there is no absolute proof that baking soda whitens teeth, it’s possible that you will notice a difference over time, if you use a baking soda paste on your toothbrush. This is due to the slightly abrasive nature of baking soda and the fact that it helps to prevent the growth of bacteria.
The benefits of apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has many potential health benefits if you use it in the right way. Studies have shown that this vinegar can help to whiten your teeth. However, it can also erode the enamel on your teeth, if you use too much of it. This is why you should:
- Not use apple cider vinegar every day.
- Not keep it in your mouth for too long.
- Use water to dilute the vinegar before you use it.
Fruit and its benefits for teeth
Eating fruit in your diet is good for your health and the crunch of certain fruits, such as apples, can help to break up plaque deposits on your teeth. Some people also believe that fruits such as strawberries and pineapple can have a whitening effect on your teeth. This belief is yet to be backed up by science.
Maintaining a good dental care routine is important if you want to keep your teeth looking good. You can also try one of the natural teeth whitening tips we have suggested. There is no guarantee that you will be able to whiten your teeth naturally and you may find that seeking professional help is your best option.