Protect Your Vision: How to Handle a Major Eye Injury


Protect Your Vision, How to Handle a Major Eye Injury

Many people agree that the hardest sense to give up would be the sense of sight. With it, one can see the beauty of nature, loved ones’ faces and one’s work. Any trauma to the eyes can result in a partial or complete loss of sight if not addressed immediately. These are a few of the basic ways to handle a major eye injury to reduce damage.

Eye Trauma

Eye trauma occurs following blunt force to the eye, such as from a fist or baseball bat. Minor eye trauma with bruising may only require a cold compress laid on the affected eye and over-the-counter pain medication. However, if there is bleeding or if the eye hurts when it moves, the individual should see a doctor immediately.

Orbital Fractures

Orbital fractures also occur from blunt force that breaks the bones surrounding the eye, which can leave extensive bruising. Treatment is much the same as for other types of eye trauma. However, a doctor should be consulted if there is any change in vision.

Foreign Objects in Eyes

Foreign objects can range in size from very small to medium-sized. For example, a piece of dust or particle of sand can cause a great deal of eye irritation. However, the most dangerous types of foreign objects are those that are sharp and that puncture the eye. Small particles may be removed simply by rinsing the eye with cleansing solution and blinking. If any sharp objects such as glass or metal are sticking out of the eye, you should call 911 immediately.

Chemicals in Eye

Liquid or aerosol chemicals could get into the eye in a laboratory or even while cleaning in the home. These caustic substances can cause extensive damage and should be immediately rinsed from the eye. A doctor should be consulted, and he or she will probably re-irrigate the eye using a special device.

One’s eyesight must be protected carefully because the eyes are so delicate. Wounds or chemical damage can destroy eye structures, such as the cornea or even the retina. After any type of major eye injury, of course, an ophthalmologist, or specialty eye doctor, should be consulted for treatment and follow-up care.

Leave a comment