Diarrhea is nothing but a condition where a person tends to pass watery or loose stool frequently. It is just opposite to another condition that we all know as constipation. Though the reasons for diarrhea are many if medically discussed, let us keep it in mind that in some cases, it can be infectious and in some cases, non-infectious. Also, there are two types of diarrhea (1) Chronic Diarrhea where the condition has occurred over a long period of time, and (2) Acute Diarrhea where the condition is a recent happening. Whether chronic or acute, know that in both the cases, if proper care is not taken, a person can even die.
Let us now know the home remedies for diarrhea, which can really help a person getting rid of or prevent this condition from frequent occurrence.
- Drink your daily share of 8 to 10 glasses of water. You have to do it if you want to stay hydrated (be winter, be summer), as dehydration would lead to diarrhea. Here, dehydration means losing electrolytes and minerals from the body like potassium and sodium, that are otherwise vital body requirements. If you really cannot drink so much of plain water, you can opt for light tea (sugarless would be best), or fruit juices (not prune or apple juice), flat soda pops, etc. Whatever replacement you go for, make sure it is free of sugar. Also, you need to drink everything cool, and not hot or cold. Again, do not gulp your drinks at one go; instead, sip your drink, one sip at a time.
- Avoid eating/drinking dairy products (except yogurt) for at least a month even after you get cured. These are heavy and take time to digest, and would only worsen the condition.
- Avoid caffeine, sugar products, and high-fiber, greasy, and spicy food. All these help in deteriorating the condition and you will be sicker.
- Eating yogurt or kefir (yogurt with live cultures) is excellent for protecting your intestines from more inflammations, as the lactic acid produced by yogurt kills bacteria.
- Eat food that has starch like rice, potato, etc. as starch helps in protecting the intestines, and thereby, curing the inflammation.
- Chamomile tea is yet another drink that has antispasmodic properties. Drinking this tea treats the inflammation in the intestines. You can have 3 to 4 cups a day.
- Black tea has tannin (has anti-diarrheal effect) that helps in treating intestinal inflammation. You can have 3 to 4 cups a day. Best would be if you can alternate chamomile tea and black tea, and together make a dose of 3 to 4 cups a day—2 cups of the first tea and 2 cups of the second tea.
- Stay away from stress, tension and anger; they help in worsening the diarrheal condition, leaving you with weaker immune system.
- Take rest as it helps in fighting the weak immune system that has been caused by this condition. You need to rest often if you are suffering from chronic diarrhea.
Whatever you do, make sure to eat the right food and sip the right drink. To top these, give your body its deserved rest.