Natural home remedies to treat cough
Am sure many of us get irritated with the nagging kind of cough and would certainly want to reach out for over the counter medications to get instant relief. But wouldn’t it be better if you could have some home remedies that would help treat the infection and provide us relief from cough. Unlike the home remedies, over the counter medications typically takes care of only the symptoms, and the deep rooted cause is left un-treated. Therefore, it would be wise if you give my natural home remedies a chance and help drive your cough away.
Natural home remedies drive away cough the natural way and needless to mention they are devoid of any side effects. More to this, cough medications may often make you feel drowsy and you would not be able to give your 100% at work place. Unlike these medications, natural remedies are 100% safe and are the ones that would not induce sleep. Try out the following remedies to get rid of cough in just no time.
- Gargles: Gargling with warm water with addition of salt will definitely help soothe your sore throat. You can gargle at least 4 – 5 times a day for getting relief from cough.
- Sleeping position: Many of you might complain of cough that usually turns worse at night. The cough that gets worse at night is due to the fact that the mucus from nose drips into the throat. The sleeping position that most of us prefer is pretty favorable for this process to occur resulting in worsening of the cough at nights. Therefore, it is required that you sleep with your head in an elevated position to decrease the process of mucus drainage. Sleeping in this position will facilitate quality sleep with no coughing.
- Turmeric: This is an age old remedy for curing cough. What you need to do is add a pinch of this wonder spice to a glass of warm milk. The antibacterial properties of turmeric will help treat the cause of the cough and the warmth of the milk will help clear off sore throat. Not just this, you can even add ½ tsp of turmeric to a warm glass of water along with salt. This solution can be used for gargling throughout the day.
- Honey: This is yet another powerful remedy for treating cough at home. If you are suffering from dry cough then you simply need to mix honey with grape juice and have it. If cough is bothering you during night then, addition of honey to a warm glass of milk should do the trick.
- Ginger: Ginger has been popular since ages for relieving cough. The remedy is quite simple and is ready in minutes. You need to chew a piece of fresh ginger with salt and see the difference in the intensity of cough bouts.
- Garlic: Many research papers have crowned garlic as one of the best remedy for curing cough. It has antibacterial and expectorant properties that helps relieve congestion and provides relief from cough.
- Jaggery: Jaggery is particularly useful when one experiences chest congestion due to sputum buildup. You need to boil water for about 20 minutes with some peppercorns in it. When done, add jaggery and about a pinch of cumin to it. Drink this decoction; it will help clear off the sputum buildup and provide relief from cough.
It needs to be mentioned here that the above remedies would certainly provide relief from cough. However, if the cough persists then it would be advisable that you contact your doctor for further treatment.