Important Things To Consider When Choosing Dental Implant Treatment
Can you think of chewing or grinding your food properly with missing teeth? And think how your smile will look like if some of your teeth are missing. Earlier, such situation was managed using denture.
This is a crude method of fixing the implant on your jaw and taking it out after its use. But now, you can go in for an innovative surgical procedure known as a dental implant to fix artificial teeth permanently. It is a metal (Titanium) frame that is fixed beneath your gums. It lasts a lifetime. A single tooth implant may cost you from $ 1,500 to $ 6,000.
Implanting teeth is a delicate surgical procedure and has to be performed most meticulously. Therefore, before going in for this, you need to be educated about various aspect of the procedure. The following are the most important things to consider before choosing a dental implant treatment.
- About the Dentist
Dentistry is a special stream of medical science. A dentist needs to be duly qualified as a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) or Master of Dental Surgery (MDS). But, qualification alone is not enough to perform the dental implant. You should search for the number of implants your dentist makes in a year.
You must also know the number of years the dentist has been performing this procedure, successfully. He or she must have achieved the success rate of at least 85 % to 90%. You should discuss with the dentist about his policy.
- About the Technique
The technique should be such that it fits perfectly with your other teeth, having the perfect aesthetic value. The implant should be made on the hard and soft tissues of your mouth, such as your gum and bone. It must remain functional and healthy over a long period.
When a tooth is lost, the alveolar bone deteriorates because of sort stimulation in this area. So, you should have a strong alveolar bone which is a sac-like bone and encloses the surrounding teeth. For determining the quality of the bone, you need imaging, 3D CT, and X-ray.
The traditional dentistry focuses on diagnosis, oral hygiene, and treatment of oral disease. But, the cosmetic dentistry focuses on the improvement of the appearance of your teeth, smile, and mouth. Cosmetic treatment provides restorative benefits too. You can treat your decayed teeth by dental filling.
Earlier, people were using gold, amalgam and other materials that left dark spots on the teeth. Now, the filling materials like porcelain and other composite materials are used, to match the color of your teeth. You can also replace your older filling with new tooth-colored fillings and thus, increase your oral appearance.
The cosmetic treatment includes the following:
- Onlays/ Inlays: It is also known as indirect filling. The tooth decay or any structural image can be ‘filled’ with inlays made from porcelain and composite material. It lasts longer and gives a pleasing and aesthetic look.
- Composite Bonding: This is a procedure to repair the broken, chipped or decayed teeth. The composite material has the look of enamel and dentin. It is applied into the cavity or on the surface of a tooth for being sculpted into the desired shape. The rest of your natural teeth create and healthy and bright smile.
- Teeth Whitening: Your teeth are sometimes stained due to smoking, food, and drinking of white wine. The dentist can enhance the appearance of your smile by bleaching the same.
- Dental Veneer: The dentist can improve the severe tooth discoloration or worn out appearance. You can apply it on the gap in your teeth.
- Smile Makeover: To improve the overall appearance, you can apply dental veneer, gingival sculpting and teeth whitening.
Go ahead with your dental implant treatment only after considering the following things in mind!