Natural remedies to treat headache at home
Headache is a constant bother and you may feel as if someone is banging a hammer on your head. Several other symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and dizziness are associated with headaches and you may prefer to stay away from work when you get such bouts.
Reaching out for over the counter pain relief medications can certainly lessen the intensity of headaches, but these medications have their own share of harmful effects. You need something that can be natural, effective, safe and devoid of any side effects.
Look below for the natural home remedies that would provide relief from headache the natural way.
- Ginger: Ginger is an age old remedy that has proved its worth in treatment of many ailments. Headache is one such ailment where ginger can be used in variety of ways to sooth the pain. Fresh ginger can be boiled in water and its vapor can be inhaled for getting relief. Ginger tea can be made and consumed 2 – 3 times a day. The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger help reduce the inflammation of the blood vessels in the head, thereby lessening the intensity of headache.
- Mint and coriander juice: Mint is known for its antiseptic and anti-pruritic properties that are effective for relieving all types of headaches. If you are suffering from migraine attacks then application of mint juice along with coriander juice on forehead will provide relief.
- Peppermint oil: You can even apply peppermint oil on your forehead when you get headache attacks. The oil of peppermint has the properties that can facilitate the opening and closing of the blood vessels which can aid in faster relief from headache.
- Cloves: The paste from 3 – 4 cloves does wonders for relieving headaches. You can feel the intensity of headache decreasing when the paste is applied on forehead and kept on for a while. You can even crush some cloves and keep in handkerchief; gradually keep inhaling the smell of the cloves and your headache will soon get alleviated. The oil of clove also has excellent pain relieving properties. You can mix the clove oil with salt and apply it on your forehead and see the difference.
- Rosemary: Rosemary oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help in alleviating headaches. You simply need to massage rosemary oil on your forehead when you have headache. In addition, you can even prepare tea of rosemary and sage leaves. For preparation of this tea, you need to add 1 tsp of crushed rosemary and sage leaves into water and bring it to a boiling point. Make sure you cover the vessel while boiling so that the essential oils do not evaporate. Cool the tea and drink it at least 2 – 3 times a day.
- Cinnamon: If you are suffering from headache due to common cold then cinnamon is the best natural remedy. This spice is readily available at your disposal and all you need to do is prepare a thick paste with powdered cinnamon. You need to apply this paste on your forehead and leave on for few minutes. You can also add 2 teaspoon of powdered cinnamon to a glass of milk and boil for at least 2 – 3 minutes. Thereafter, add a teaspoonful of honey to it and mix thoroughly. Have this cinnamon – honey milk at least 2 -3 times a day.
All these natural home remedies are sure to alleviate your headache and you would not require popping in pills anymore. The remedies mentioned here have powerful pain relieving properties that have been proved to be effective enough in alleviating headaches.