Home Remedies for Bedwetting in Children
Most children have the tendency of wetting the bed until the age of 3. This is considered the norm, but if bedwetting continues in children, especially the ones between the ages of 5 from 8; it is said to be due to nutritional and psychological triggers.
According to estimates, about 6 to 10 million children wet their beds and about 200,000 adults. The condition can be stopped with the help of some natural therapies. It is recommended that people follow a two to four week program before checking the results. Here are the strategies that have proven to be effective in the long run:
- Trigger foods that are high in acid should be eliminated from the child’s diet. Cooked vegetables, caffeine, soda pop, chocolate and cocoa are all regarded as trigger foods and can cause a child to lose control over their bladder while they are sleeping. In addition, if you are aware that your child is a bed wetter, it is best to avoid feeding them any spicy or junk food. The developing renal system can often become overloaded because of foods that are high in fats, refined sugar and spices, causing different organs to malfunction.
- Before giving your child any breakfast, you should give them an 8-ounce glass of cranberry juice in the morning. Considered as a powerful antioxidant, cranberry juice promotes healthy renal and kidney function. Moreover, it will also wean the child off sugar drinks like soda pop that they consume habitually. ¼ cup of pure apple juice or half an apple can also be added to the juice for giving some flavor.
- Take a glass of water and mix about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in it. Give this solution to your child with every meal. Acid levels of the child will be alkalized with apple cider vinegar and this will cause the uncontrollable and frequent urges to urinate subside. Calcium deposits in the body can also be broken down with the help of this mixture.
- Two hours before your child goes to bed, be sure to feed them a glass of water with 3 to 5 drops of valerian extract and a piece of celery. The bladder and kidney can stay healthy because of the properties of celery as it regulates the salts in the body. Your child’s system can also stay free from any dangerous toxins with the help of celery because it is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. Apart from that, your child will be able to calm and relax during sleep as valerian root is a very powerful calming herb. Don’t give your child any liquids at least two hours before they sleep.
- Before your child falls asleep, giving them a soothing back rub can be helpful. 2 or 3 drops of lavender oil can also be rubbed on the skin. In this way, your child will not sleep because of physical exhaustion, but will relax and fall asleep comfortably.
With these steps, you can gradually control any bedwetting issues in your child.