Mexico is a good place with delectable cuisines. From their well-known tacos to the crunchy tostadas, you wouldn’t get out of a Mexican restaurant unsatisfied and hungry. With the uncountable food recipes in store, they are deemed to be one of the best chefs in the world.
“Enfrijoladas” is just one of their kitchen masterpieces. Have you ever heard about this food before? Well, that shouldn’t be the question. Who haven’t heard about it anyway, right? Enfrijoladas originated in Mexico. Thus, Mexicans call it their ‘comfort food. It would be strange to hear that a Mexican considers it otherwise, though.
Although it is a famous recipe in Mexico, there is no “proper direction” in preparing it. In fact, we have outgrown the typical way of cooking a dish at home. Some even make their versions and improve the taste of food. If you go around, asking how to prepare Enfrijoladas, you may receive different answers from different states in Mexico. Nevertheless, Enfrijoladas is an authentic and particular recipe in the country.
One thing that makes it similar regardless of distinct versions is the used ingredients. The homemade corn tortillas should not be left out of the picture. You may add varieties and other seasonings, but the homemade corn tortillas add up to its delicious taste. You can also add cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, or avocado. It depends on your liking.
Why is Enfrijoladas called the “Mexican Comfort Food”?
Just like other countries, people consider certain foods as their ‘comfort food’. For instance, Canada’s comfort food is Poutine while Oden is the comfort food of Japan and Tortilla Española in Spain. Comfort food doesn’t refer to the compounds the food contains but rather the feeling it gives you when you consume it.
Enfrijoladas is dubbed as the comfort food of Mexicans. This salad recipe is not only easy to cook, but you might also find yourself licking your fingers after every bite. It is uncertain as to why Mexicans call this as their comfort food. But the physiological effect that it gives out after finishing out the dish is just remarkable.
As I have mentioned, this recipe is easy to cook. You just have to prepare the necessary ingredients and kitchen utensils that you will need. If you want to create your version, be creative and experiment until you get the perfect taste that you are looking for.
In this article, I will be focusing on the simple text of the Enfrijoladas with beans and corn tortillas as the main ingredient. It will take you about 20 minutes preparation time and about two hours cooking time. Meanwhile, here are the ingredients that you will need:
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour | Servings: 4 to 6 | Difficulty: Easy
• Cut dried ancho chili pepper (optional)
• 2 ½ cans of black beans or pinto beans
• 1 to 1 ½ cups of water or chicken stock
• 2 cups of salsa or Picante sauce or adobo sauce
• 1 teaspoon of salt and ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon of cumin
• 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
• 2 tablespoons of lime juice
• 12 corn tortillas
• ½ finely chopped onions
• ½ finely chopped garlic
• ¼ cup of olive oil or vegetable oil
• 3 oz. of cheese or Queso Fresco
1. In a blender or food mixer, mix in the ancho chili pepper, black beans, chicken stock, and adobo sauce. Season it with salt and ground pepper. Add the cumin, the cilantro, and the lime juice. Blend it according to your preference. You can blend it into a puree for a creamier taste, or you can check the consistency. Set aside.
2. In a separate frying pan, adjust the fire on medium heat and put some olive oil in the pan. Sizzle in the tortillas until bubbles are formed but make sure not to burn it. Be careful not to damage the corn tortillas. Do not throw the oil because you can use it to sauté the onions. Drain excess oils and set it aside.
3. Sauté the onions and garlic until color turns lighter. Add the blended sauce or the bean mixture and simmer it for ten minutes. Mix in vigorously because you don’t want the sauce to sear. Set aside.
4. Garnishing and plating. Lay the sizzled corn tortillas on a flat plate and put in the cheese and chopped onions, and cover it with the sauce. Fold it in half and drizzle the mixture on top of the tortillas.
Enfrijoladas as a Comfort Food
Everyone needs a comfort food, just like when people rely on desserts when stressed. Although we have our food choices, Enfrijoladas deserves its title as “Mexico’s comfort food”. The food preparation is easy to follow as well as the cooking instructions.
So, whenever you crave for Enfrijoladas in the future, why not create your version, instead. Enjoy your hot, creamy, and tasty homemade Enfrijoladas!
Paula is the founder of FoodRevPgh, where she blogs about the best food recipes, tips & tricks, and finest tech that will help you make exquisite food in your home. You can find many interesting insights to the finest meals, and guide you through preparing them, all without the hustle. Problems – Solved!
Leave a Reply