How To Make Delectable Carrot Soup For Your Kids
A good health and its maintenance must be the prerogative of every individual. Access to junk food and products adorned with preservatives are easily available in your nearest grocer’s. But are they healthy? Studies have shown that junk food has several health concerns in human. These health risks include obesity, rise in LDL (low-density lipoproteins) also known as bad cholesterol, stress gain, and many others.
People are adopting healthy lifestyles to remain fit, disease-free, and happy for a long time. Besides regular exercise regime, the choice of foods from vegan, to protein-based is quite a trend these days.
Plant products – in the form of roots, fruits, leaves, seeds, barks, etc., are known for their properties to fight against diseases and contribute to the overall health of a person.
This article is a subtle attempt on a delectable and liked vegetable roots called “carrots”. The nutritious value of carrots has always been highlighted by doctors, nutritionists, health experts, etc.
Properties of Carrots
This intriguing vegetable has several health benefits that range from:
- This magic ingredient is enriched in vitamins, fibers, and minerals.
- Prostate Cancer. They have anti-cancer effects, for they contain beta carotenoids that aids in the release of free radicals in the body to protect against the deadly disease.
- Lung cancer. The beta-carotene in the vegetable boosts the production of enzymes to fight against lung cancer.
- Vision impairment problems. Since we were children, our parents, grandparents, and schools taught us about how carrots can protect our vision. It has Vitamin A, the deficiency of which is responsible of blindness and similar sight issues.
- Diabetes. It is one of the important roots that is known to control blood sugar levels.
Health experts are continuously advising people to include soups, and salads in our diet to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Since carrots have amazing benefits, there are many healthy soup recipes one can derive inspiration from and include it in their daily food intake.
Carrot Soup Recipe
There are innumerable interpretations on how to prepare a carrot soup. Below are a few of them which are absolutely tasty and healthy at the same time.
Smoked Carrot Soup.
- Carrots- 1 no. (peeled & diced into chunks).
- Potatoes- 2 no. (peeled & diced into chunks).
- Large Onion- 1 no. (diced into slices).
- Garlic- 5 cloves (peeled).
- Olive oil- 2-4 teaspoons.
- Salt & pepper- to taste.
- Thyme sprigs- 2 no.
- Bay leaf- 1 no.
- Chicken and/or Vegetable stock or water- 1 quarter.
- Cream, or milk – optional.
- Preheat the oven up to 425 degrees.
- Use a baking dish to mix the vegetables.
- Add oil and salt and pepper into the vegetable mix.
- Insert the baking tray in the oven and bake it for about 1 hour (until roasted).
- Take out a soup pot, and add the stock into it.
- Add the roasted vegetable in the soup pot.
- Bring the soup to boil.
- Transfer the vegetables into a food processor and grind them into a smooth paste.
- Transfer this puree to the soup pot and season it with salt and pepper.
- You can drizzle some crème Fraiche into the soup (it is optional).
Other soup preparations like Ginger carrot soup, Carrot and lentils soup are also available for one to try.
Is There A Substitute For Carrot?
People have different food habits and likings towards a certain vegetable while totally ignoring another one from the same family. For people who don’t like carrots, they can use a carrot substitute like Zucchini, Parsnips, Squash, Cucumber, and Beetroot. These carrot substitutes can be used to prepare cakes, soups, fries, and similar recipes which have otherwise carrot as the main ingredient.
The carrot substitutes which can enhance one’s vision are Kale, Corn, Eggs, Spinach, Garlic, Oranges, Broccoli, Fish, as well as the yummy dark chocolate.
Features of Carrot Sprouts
The top layer of carrots, the green part envelopes the sprouts of this vegetable. Almost all the parts of carrot are edible. Carrot sprouts are easily seen during rainy or moist weather. The sprouted parts of the carrots are also edible but are slightly bitter to taste.
Nowadays, people are inclined towards organic farming. There are several videos on how to grow your plants and vegetable in your kitchen space. Carrots and other root vegetables can be easily grown by inserting them (upside down) in jars which are half-filled with water.
This is one of the easiest ways to grow carrots by germinating the sprouts. Usually, it takes about 14-21 days for the carrot sprout to germinate.